Grandma's Red Velvet Cake
3 TBLS cocoa
1. Make a paste with cocoa and red food coloring. Set aside.
2. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs. Blend well.
3. Add cocoa mixture to shortening mixture.
4. Combine flour with salt. Add alternately with buttermilk and vanilla to cocoa/shortening mixture.
5. Fold in vinegar and baking soda.
6. Pour into three 8" bake pans that have been greased and floured.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes. When done, test centers with toothpick. Toothpick should come out clean.
8. Cool for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto cake racks to finish cooling.
9. Frost when fully cooled.